North Fambridge, Essex

Historical Description

Fambridge, North, a parish in Essex, on the river Crouch, at a ferry to South Fambridge, 6 ½ miles S from Maldon. It lias a station on the Southminster branch of the G.E.R. Post town, Maldon; money order office, Stow Maries; telegraph office, Latchingdon. Acreage, 1248; population, 151. Fambridge is thought to be a corruption of Foambridge, and to have been derived from a bridge which anciently stood liere, and raised foam in the current. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £218. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of red brick in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored recently.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish North Fambridge Holy Trinity
Hundred Dengie
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for North Fambridge from the following:


Maps

Online maps of North Fambridge are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: