Newport, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the Granta, a tributary of the river Cam, the G.E.R. main line, on which it has a station, and the Roman road to Cambridge, 3 miles SSW of Saffron Walden; was anciently called Newport Pond, from a large pool at the S end of its street, had anciently a castle; had also an hospital for lepers, founded in the time of King John by Richard de Newport, and dedicated to St Leonard; and has now a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), and formerly had fairs on Easter Tuesday and 17 and 18 Nov. The parish comprises 1730 acres; population, 984. Brickmaking is carried on. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Earl Harold, and with Shortgrove House, a mansion of red brick in the Queen Anne style, situated on an eminence in a deer park of about 400 acres, belongs now to the Baily family. A quaint old timber dwelling, known as the " Crown " House, is reputed to have been a residence of Nell Gwynne. Another old house in the centre of the village, known as " Monk Barns," was originally a sanitorium belonging to the monks of St Martin-in-the Fields. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £281 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church stands in the highest part of the village; is a building of rubble in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with lofty turreted tower; and was thoroughly restored in 1858-59. There is a Congregational chapel. The Frankland Grammar School, founded in 1558, has an endowment of over £550 a year, and affords a good classical or commercial education.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newport St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newport from the following:
Online maps of Newport are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: