Nazeing, Essex

Historical Description

Nazeing, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 2 ½ miles E of the river Lea, at the boundary with Herts, 3 ½ E of Broxbourne station on the G.E.R., and 4 ½ NW of Epping, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Waltham Cross. The parish extends to the river Lea, and comprises 3926 acres of land and 26 of water; population, 764. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Nazeing Park is a chief residence. The manor belongs to the Wake family. The contiguous reach of the Lea is much frequented by anglers, and a hotel and pleasure gardens are there. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £238 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on an eminence with a good view over the river Lea, is a fine building of flint and rubble in the Early English style, and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with an embattled western tower, and an interesting rood-loft staircase with the remnants of the rood-beam embedded in the walls. There is a Congregational chapeL Bishops Hall and Fuller were vicars.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Nazeing All Saints
Hundred Waltham
Poor Law union Epping

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Nazeing from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Nazeing are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: