Navestock, Essex

Historical Description

Navestock, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Boding, 4 miles SSW of Ongar station, 5 NW from Brentwood station on the G.E.R., and 6 ½ NNE of Romford, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Navestock Side under Brentwood. The parish includes the hamlets of Navestock Side, Navestock Heath, and Horseman Side. Acreage, 4518; population, 736. There is a parish council consisting of seven members besides a chairman. The manor was given by King Edgar to St Paul's Cathedral, and by Queen Mary to the ancestor of Earl Waldegrave, and with Navestock Park belongs now to Lord Carlingford. Dudbrook, a very pleasantly situated mansion, is a seat of Lord Carlingford, and Abbotswick Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £297 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church is a large building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with wooden tower and shingled spire. It has some ancient tombs and monuments.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Navestock St. Thomas the Apostle
Hundred Ongar
Poor Law union Ongar

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Navestock from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: