Mundon, Essex

Historical Description

Mundon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near a creek of the Blackwater estuary, 3 ¼ miles SSE of Maldou station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Maldon; money order and telegraph office, Latchingdon. The parish comprises 8107 acres; population, 263. Mundon Hall is a seat of the Solly family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £85 with residence. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is partly a stone building in the Perpendicular style, with a brick chancel, and has at the W end a heavy hexagonal abutment eurmounted by a wooden belfry.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Mundon St. Mary
Hundred Dengie
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Mundon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Mundon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: