Moulsham, a populous suburb of Chelmsford, forming part of the municipal borough, and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1838 out of Chelmsford parish, Essex. There is a post and money order office under Chelmsford; telegraph office, Chelmsford. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 5403. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown, was given to Westminster Abbey, and went at the dissolution to the family of Mildmay. Moulsham Hall was rebuilt for Earl Fitzwalter by Leoni, but was entirely pulled down about 1816. A small Dominican priory stood on the spot still called the Friars. Some Roman relics were found in 1850. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Chelmsford. The church is in the Early English style, was built in 1841 at a cost of about £2500, and was greatly enlarged by the building of a chancel and three transepts, the lengthening of the nave, and the erection of a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moulsham from the following:
Online maps of Moulsham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: