Middleton, Essex

Historical Description

Middleton, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 2 miles S from Sudbnry station on the G.E.R. Post town and telegraph office, Sudbury; money order office, Ballingdon. Acreage, 876; population, 142. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £329 with residence. The church is partly Norman and partly Saxon, with a wooden spire; was recently restored; and has fine stained glass windows, and a carved oak reredos. It contains a tomb of James Samison, formerly rector of Middleton, who died in 1349.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Sudbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Middleton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Middleton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: