Margaretting, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Wid, adjacent to the G.E.R., 2 miles NE of Ingatestone station, and 4 SW by S of Chelmsford, and has a post office under Ingatestone; money order and telegraph office, Ingatestone. The parish comprises 2284 acres; population, 5.11. The manors of Margaretting Hall and of Coptfold Hall belong to the Petre family. Copt-fold Hall, Peacocks, and Eweland Hall are chief residences. Killigrews was a moated seat, visited by Henry VIII., and became a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £191 with residence. The church is a beautiful example of the Early Perpendicular style of the period of Henry VI., stands near Ingatestone, and consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with wooden belfry. It has an ancient octangular font, four bells, all ancient, and one of which is thought to date from about 1400, and in the chancel a fine and perfect window of stained glass of the 15th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Margaretting St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Margaretting from the following:
Online maps of Margaretting are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: