Margaret Roding, Essex
Margaret Boothing or Roding, a village and a parish, in Essex, 7 miles NE from Ongar station on the G.E.R., and 8 SW from Dunmow. Theie is a post office under Dunmow ½ money order office, White Roothing; telegraph office, Roxwell, Acreage, 1285; population of the civil parish, 237; of the ecclesiastical, 216. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £190 with residence. The church is an ancient building of nibble in the Early Norman style. There are an endowed school and some small charities. A farmhouse in this parish, called Marks Hall, seems at one period to have been an independent chapelry, and now pays tithes to the rectory of Stondon Massey.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Margaret Roothing St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Margaret Roding from the following:
Online maps of Margaret Roding are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: