Manuden or Manewden, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Stort, 2 miles E of the boundary with Herts, 2 NW from Stanstead station on the G.E.R., and 4 N of Bishop Stortford, and has a pleasure fair on Easter Monday, and a post office under Bishop Stortford; money order and telegraph office, Stanstead. The parish comprises 2531 acres; population, 683. The two manors of Manuden Hall and Battles Hall belong to the Gosling family. Manuden House, a large modern mansion, stands in the centre of the village, and belongs to the Thomas family. Manuden Hall is a chief residence, and belongs to the Goslings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £104 with residence. The church, a building of flint and stone in the Early Gothic style, consists of nave, S aisle, N transept, and chancel, with tower and spire, and, excepting the transept, was fully restored in 1864. There is a Congregational chapel. Mallow Green is a hamlet about 1 ½ mile to the W of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Manewden St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Manuden from the following:
Online maps of Manuden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: