Little Waltham, Essex

Historical Description

Waltham, Little, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the river Chelmer, 3 ½ miles N of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Chelmsford; telegraph office, Great Waltham. Acreage, 2310; population, 661. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Young family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £420. Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church, which is a very ancient building of flint and stone in the Early English style, has been restored, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, S porch, and organ chamber, with an embattled western tower, and contains two ancient brasses. There are a Congregational chapel and two useful charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Little Waltham St. Martin
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Little Waltham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Little Waltham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: