Little Wakering, Essex

Historical Description

Wakering, Little, an ancient parish in Essex, which includes part of Wallasea Island and the islands of New England and Little Potton, 4 miles ENE of Southend, and about 2 from Shoeburyness station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. Post town, Southend; money order and telegraph office, Great Wakering. Acreage, 2387 of land and 20 of water with 2496 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 276. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £117 with residence. Patron, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Little Wakering St. Mary
Hundred Rochford
Poor Law union Rochford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Little Wakering from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Little Wakering are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: