Little Saling, Essex

Historical Description

Saling, Little, or Baidfield Saling, a village and an ancient parish in Essex, near Pods Brook river, 4 ¼ miles NW from Rayne station on the Bishops Stortford and Braintree branch of the G.E.R., and 6 ½ NW from Braintree. Post town, Braintree via Great Saling; money order office, Great Saling; telegraph office. Great Bardfield. Acreage of the civil parish, 1198 ; population, 276; of the ecclesiastical, 260. The living is a donative vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £60. The church is a small but ancient building of flint and stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and lofty round western tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: