Little Braxted, Essex
Braxted, Little, a parish in Essex, on the river Blackwater, adjacent to the G.E.R., 1 mile E by S of Witham, which is the post town and money order office; telegraph office, Wickham-Bishops. Acreage, 622; population, 125. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £81 with residence. The church is a small Norman building with apsidal chancel; it contains a brass to W. Roberts, auditor to Henry VIII. (1508), also two very ancient bells of unusual shape hung in a wooden belfry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Braxted St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Witham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Braxted from the following:
Online maps of Little Braxted are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: