Little Bentley, Essex

Historical Description

Bentley, Little, a parish in Essex, 2 ½ miles NNE of Bentley Green station on the G.E.R., and 7 ½ E of Colchester. under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Great Bentley. Acreage, 2094; population, 296. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £595. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of brick and stone in the Decorated style, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Little Bentley St. Mary
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Little Bentley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Little Bentley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: