Little Bardfield, Essex
Bardfield, Little, a village and a parish in Dunmow union, Essex, on the south bank of the river Blackwater, 10 miles E by N from Elsenham station on the G.E.R., and 10 NW from Braintree. Acreage, 1808; population of the civil parish, 268; of the ecclesiastical, 293. Post town, Braintree; money order and telegraph office, Great Bardfield. The living is a donative in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £78. The church is a small but very ancient building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, and south aisle, with an embattled western tower. There are five endowed almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Bardfield St. Catherine|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Bardfield from the following:
Online maps of Little Bardfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: