Listen, Essex

Historical Description

Listen, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 1 ½ mile NNW of Long Melford station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Long Melford (R.S.O.) Acreage of parish, 627; population, 129. The manor belonged anciently to Hugh de Goumai and to the Listens, and now belongs to the Lamberts. Listen Hall is a fine modern mansion. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £196 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Sudbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Listen from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: