Lindsell, Essex

Historical Description

Lindsell, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Chelmer, 3 ½ miles SE of Thaxted, and 4 NNE of Dunmow station on the Dunmow and Braintree branch of the G.E.R. The parish contains. also the hamlets of Holders Green and Bustard Green, and its post town is Stebbing, under Chelmsford; money order and telegraph office, Thaxted. Acreage, 1986; population, 232. The manor of Lindsell Hall belonged before the Conquest to Ulmar; was given by the Conqueror to Eudo Dapifer; and passed to the Pirots, the Tibetots, the Wentworths, the Norths, and others. The manor of Priors Hall belonged once to the priory of St Valery, in Picardy, and now belongs to New College, Oxford. The manor of Lashley Hall belongs to the Fitzgeralds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £115 with residence. The church belonged anciently to Walden Abbey; is a building of stone in the Early English style; contains a fine old Norman arch y and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Dunmow
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lindsell from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Lindsell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: