Leytonstone, Essex

Historical Description

Leytonstone, a village and a chapelry in Leyton parish, Essex. The village runs parallel to Leyton village and northward of it, lies on the Roman road to Colchester adjacent to the G.E.R., took the latter part of its name from a milliarium which stood at it, has recently undergone great increase, contains many fine suburban villas, and has a station on the railway about a mile N of that of Leyton, and is the Eastern Suburban Postal District. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £306 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church occupies a commanding site on the road from Stratford to Epping, and is a handsome edifice of white brick and stone in the Gothic style, with light square W tower surmounted by four fine spirelets dedicated to St John the Baptist. Harrow Green is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1879 from the parishes of Leyton, Leytonstone, Wanstead, West Ham, and Stratford New Town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £330 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church, erected in 1878, is a large building of brick in the Early English style. St Andrew's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1887 from the parish of St John the Baptist, Leytonstone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of Kentish rag and Bath stone in the Gothic style. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of St John the Baptist, 12,079; of Harrow Green, 29,619 ; of St Andrew, 12,360. There are also Baptist, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan chapels. The Congregational chapel is a fine building of stone in the Lombardo-Gothic style, erected in 1877-78 at a cost of over £8000. There is a Roman Catholic cemetery, formed in 1861, which is 11 acres in extent and has a mortuary chapel. The late Right Hon. Sir Henry Cotton, Lord Justice of Appeal, and the late Sir Morell Mackenzie, M.D., were natives.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: