Lexden, Essex

Historical Description

Lexden (anciently Lexenden or Lessenden), a parish and a village included within the second ward of the borough of Colchester, Essex. The village, which stands at the river Colne about 1 ½ mile W of the town, is a very ancient place. There are in the neighbourhood some lines of entrenchment which date from the time of the Roman occupation, and the history of the place can be traced backwards to the reign of Edward the Confessor. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 2365 ; population, 3562. The greater part of the population is now included in the new parishes of St Paul, Colchester (1538), and All Saints, Stanway (553). Lexden Park has some fine trees and a pleasant lakelet. There are several good residences with pleasure grounds. Lexden Lodge, the ancient manor house, was formerly the seat of the Lords Fitzwalters, and is surrounded by a moat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300. The church is a modern stuccoed building, consisting of chancel, nave, and a small western tower. In 1894 it was considerably enlarged by the erection of a new chancel with aisles. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Lexden St. Lawrence
Liberty Colchester
Poor Law union Colchester

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lexden from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Lexden are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: