Layer de la Hay, Essex

Historical Description

Layer-de-la-Haye, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 1 mile S of the Roman river, and 5 SSW of Colchester station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Birch. The parish comprises 2695 acres; population, 651. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans. The church is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, and embattled western tower. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Layer de la Hay from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: