Layer Marney, Essex

Historical Description

Layer Marney, a parish in Essex, 5 miles E by S of Kelvedon station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 7 SW of Colchester. Post town, Kelvedon; money order and telegraph office, Birch. Acreage, 2199; population of the civil parish, 287; of the ecclesiastical, 250. The manor belonged in the time of Edward the Confessor to the Bishop of London, and passed to the Tryons, the Mameys, the Tukes, and the Corsellises, and belongs now to the Peache family. Layer Marney Hall was built in 1520-23 by Henry, Lord Marney, was a very fine brick mansion with diagonal lines of dark-glazed bricks and terra-cotta parapets and mullions of Italian workmanship, and is represented now by only a few small portions, including the great entrance tower, 70 feet high, with four octagonal comer turrets, and commanding a fine view. the living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £296 with residence. The church is an ancient building of brick, in the Perpendicular style, was made collegiate in 1330, consists of nave, N aisle, chapel, and chancel, with a brick tower, and contains a good screen and font, a remarkable fresco of St Christopher, and handsome monuments of the Marneys and the Corsellises.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Layer-Marney St. Mary
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Layer Marney from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Layer Marney are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: