Lawford, Essex

Historical Description

Lawford, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the NE verge of the county, on the river Stour, adjacent to the G.E.R., 1 ½ mile W of Manningtree, is an ancient place, once belonged to Harold II., and has a post office under Manningtree; money order and telegraph office, Manningtree. The parish contains Manningtree railway station, and comprises 2712 acres; population, 847. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £450 with residence. Patrons, St John's College, Cambridge. The church stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view into Suffolk and towards the sea; is an ancient building of brick and rubble, with a stone tower and three bells; contains a small ornate chancel of about the middle of the 14th century, and has some interesting tombs and monuments. There are almshouses for six poor persons, and some useful charities. Lawford Hall is an ancient country mansion, and Lawford House and Lawford Place are chief residences.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Lawford St. Mary
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lawford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Lawford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: