Latchingdon and Snoreham, formerly distinct parishes, but now united both for civil and ecclesiastical purposes, in Essex. Acreage, 4007; population, 464. The village of Latchingdon stands 1 mile N of the river Crouch, 2 ½ miles E of Cold Norton station on the G.E.R., and 6 SSE from Maldon. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Maldon. A fair is held annually on 2 June. There is a police station with a residence for the superintendent attached, and the petty sessions for the Dengie division are held here every alternate Saturday. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £350. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, erected in 1857, is a building of Kentish ragstone in the Decorated style. The old church still stands, and is used as a mortuary chapel. Snoreham now consists of a single farm, and its church has long since disappeared. The quondam chapelry of Lalling, in this parish, is now a farm 1 mile N, on a creek of the Blackwater. Some fragments of its chapel still remain.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Latchingdon St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Latchingdon from the following:
Online maps of Latchingdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: