Langham, Essex

Historical Description

Langham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Stour, at the boundary with Saffolk, 4 miles NW by N of Ardleigh station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 6 NNE of Colchester; is an ancient place, and has a post office under Stratford St Mary (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Stratford St Mary. The parish comprises 2997 acres; population of the civil parish, 606; of the ecclesiastical, 590. The manor belongs to the Nocton family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £440 with residence. Patron, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style. There are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Langham St. Mary
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Langham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Langham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: