Laindon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the source of the river Crouch, 8 miles SE from Brentwood, and 3 ½ S by E of Billericay. It has a station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and a post office under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. The parish includes Basildon chapelry, and comprises an area of 3664 acres; population of civil parish, 483; of ecclesiastical, with Basildon, 415. The living is a rectory, with Basildon annexed, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £450, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church of Sb Nicholas stands on a rising-ground, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, and a western tower, with an oak shingled spire, and was restored in 1881-83. It was built in 1329. There is a priest's house attached to the church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Laindon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Laindon from the following:
Online maps of Laindon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: