Kelvedon, Essex

Historical Description

Kelvedon or Easterford, as distinguished from Kelvedon Hatch, near Brentford, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands partly on a rising ground on the right bank of the river Blackwater, adjacent to the G.E.R., 3 ¼ miles NE from Witham; is an ancient place, consists chiefly of one street about a mile in length, is connected by a bridge with Gore Pitt in Peering parish, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, a station on the railway, and formerly had a fair on Easter Monday. The parish comprises 3212 acres; population, 1565. The manor belonged anciently to Edward the Confessor, and is now divided into two manors, belonging to the Bishop of London and the Western family. Felix Hall, the property of the Westerns, is a modern edifice in a fine park, and commands a charming view over the valley of the Blackwater. The massacre of the Danes began in Kelvedon, and a silver ring, with Danish initials has been found. William III. was here in 1691, again in 1692, and slept at an inn in the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church has Early English pillars and arches, and a Later English nave-roof; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and was restored during the years 1876-77. There is a Roman Catholic chapel with a convent, orphanage, and school for young ladies; also a Congregational chapel and a Friends' meeting-house. A masonic temple was erected in 1894.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Kelvedon St. Mary
Hundred Witham
Poor Law union Witham

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kelvedon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Kelvedon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: