Ingrave, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near Thorndon Park, 2 ½ miles from Brentwood station on the G.E.R., and is a pleasant place. There is a post office under Brentwood; money order office, Heron Gate; telegraph office, Brentwood. The parish comprises 1822 acres; population, 551. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. The legal title of the parish is West Horndon-cum-Ingrave; the two parishes were ecclesiastically consolidated into one rectory, with one church and one rectory house, in 1712. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of West Horndon, in the diocese of St Albans. The church was built in 1734, is a red brick structure, with a tower, and has some ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ingrave St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ingrave from the following:
Online maps of Ingrave are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: