Ingatestone, Essex

Historical Description

Ingatestone, a small town and parish in Essex. The town stands on the G.E.R., 5 miles NE from Brentwood, is but partly in Ingatestone parish, more largely in Fryerning parish. These parishes were united by a Local Government Board Order, and have an area of 4133 acres and a population of 1688. Its name, from the words " ing," " atte," " stone," signifying " the meadow at the mile-stone," is supposed to be on a Roman road at a spot where a milestone stood, was at one time a place of much importance with a considerable market, consists now chiefly of one street, and has a railway station, a post, money order, and. telegraph office, gaswork, a church, a Congregational chapel? almshouses, and a cattle fair on 1 and 2 Dec. The church has a lofty brick tower, and contains monuments of the Petre family. The almshouses were founded in 1157 for twelve poor Roman Catholics by Sir William Petre, Bart, and rebuilt in 1840 by Lord Petre. Ingatestone Hall is a very ancient irregular edifice, was formerly a seat of the Petre family, is now occupied by four Roman Catholic families, and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel. The Hyde is the seat of the Disneys. Trueloves is a fine modern mansion of brick in the Elizabethan style. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Buttsbnry, in the diocese of St Albans; joint gross value, £451 with residence. Patron, Lord Petre.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Ingatestone Virgin Mary
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ingatestone from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Ingatestone are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: