Horndon on the Hill, Essex

Historical Description

Horndon-on-the-Hill, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1 ½ mile NW from Stanford-le-Hope station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 2 miles ENE of Orsett, has a fine prospect along the Thames to London and to the sea, is an ancient place, was formerly a market-town, and has now a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grays. The parish comprises 2649 acres; population, 546. A farm bears the name of Saffron Gardens, from the former cultivation of saffron. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £212. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church, which dates from the early part of the 13th century, consists of chancel, with chapel, nave, aisles, S porch, and wooden tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Horndon-on-the-Hill St. Peter
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Orsett

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Horndon on the Hill from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Horndon on the Hill are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: