Hockley, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1 ¼ mile S of the river Crouch, and 4 miles NW from Rochford, with a station on the Southend line of the G.E.R., and a post office (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Rayleigh. The parish comprises 4475 acres; population, 666. High grounds here command some fine views from the Nore to Brentwood, &c. Wharves and remains of an ancient bridge are on the Crouch at Hull Bridge, 3 miles from the village, and the river there is fordable at low water. A pump-room with baths, and a hotel, were erected about 1840 on the discovery of a medicinal spring, but they proved unsuccessful and are now disused. There is a large barrow. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £160 with residence. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Norman, has a massive octagonal tower, was founded by Canute in memory of his victory over Edmund Ironside at Ashingdon, and has been restored. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Hockley or Hockley Hill, a suburb of Birmingham. It has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Birmingham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hockley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hockley from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: