High Ongar, Essex

Historical Description

Ongar, High, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Roding, 1 ½ mile NE of Ongar station on the G.E.R. Formerly called Old Ongar and Great Ongar, it has a post and money order office, of the name of High Ongar, under Ongar (S.O.); telegraph office, Ongar. The parish contains also the hamlet of Astelyns, and comprises 4520 acres; population, 1142. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Forest Hall is a mansion of stone very pleasantly situated in a well-timbered park, and commanding extensive views of the surrounding country. Mardeu Ash, a hamlet 1 mile N, has a mission church which was erected in 1884. Astelyns House was an ancient seat in which the Duke of Norfolk is said to have taken shelter when fleeing from Queen Elizabeth, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £1050 with residence. The church is a building of flint rubble in-the Norman style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a tower of brick, which was rebuilt in 1858 at a cost of £800. There are six almshouses and some small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Old maps of High Ongar are available on the old-maps.co.uk site, and a current map is available on the Streetmap.co.uk site.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: