High Laver, Essex
Laver, High, a parish in Essex, 4 miles N by W of Ongar station, and 4 ½ SE by E of Harlow stations on the G.E.R. Post town, Ongar; money order and telegraph office, Matching Green, under Harlow. Acreage, 1891; population, 505. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £330. The church is a plain low building, with tile roof, brick tower, and wooden spire, and contains a brass of 1500. The churchyard contains the grave of the philosopher John Locke, who resided in the parish during most of the last fourteen years of his life, and died at Oates Manor House, then the seat of Sir Francis Masham. There is a chapel of ease at Matching Green, and there is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Laver All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Laver from the following:
Online maps of High Laver are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: