Heybridge, Essex

Historical Description

Heybridge, a village and a parish in Essex. The village is suburban to Maldon, at Maldon station on the G.E.R.; was known to the Saxons as Tidwaltintune, and given by King Athelstan to St Paul's Cathedral in London; acquired its present name from the construction of a five-arched bridge over the Blackwater in the time of Henry VI.; derives trade from the Chelmer navigation; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Maldon, a fair on Whit-Tuesday, a large iron foundry, and extensive agricultural implement and machine manufactories. The parish comprises 1843 acres; population of the civil parish, 1623; of the ecclesiastical, 1653. The Towers is a large and elegant mansion of concrete in the modern Italian style. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £180 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's, London. The church is an ancient building of flint, chiefly in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Heybridge St. Andrew
Hundred Thurstable
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Heybridge from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: