Henham, Essex

Historical Description

Henham or Henham-on-the-Hill, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1 ½ mile NE from Elsenham station on the G.E.R., and 6 NE from Bishop Stortford, and has a post and money order office under Bishop Stortford; telegraph office, Elsenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Little Henham and Pledgden Green, and comprises 2995 acres; population, 813. The manor belongs to the Baxendale family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £341. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire, and is a large and ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style. There are a Congregational chapel and a lecture-hall.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Clavering
Poor Law union Bishop-Stortford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Henham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Henham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: