Havering atte Bower, Essex

Historical Description

Havering-atte-Bower, a village, a parish, and a liberty in Essex. The village stands 3 ½ miles N by E from Eomford station on the G.E.R., was formerly a borough, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Havering, under Romford. The parish comprises 2093 acres; population, 450. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings, was a favourite retreat of Edward the Confessor, and had a royal palace, some remains of which still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £80 with residence. The church is a building of flint in the Decorated style, and contains a very ancient font and a monument by Wyatt to Sir J. Burgess, Bart. Havering Park, Pyrgo, Bower House, and Bedfords are chief residences. The liberty includes the parishes of Romford and Hornchurch.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Havering-Atte-Bower St. John the Evangelist
Liberty Havering-Atte-Bower
Poor Law union Romford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Havering atte Bower from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: