Guestingthorpe, Essex

Historical Description

Gestingthorpe or Guestingthorpe, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 3 ½ miles NNE of Castle Hedingham station on the Colne Valley railway, and 4 ¼ WSW of Sudbury, and has a post office under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Castle Hedingham. The parish comprises 2709 acres; population, 620. The living is a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, but the rector must be a priest, in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, -£485. The church is a plastered building in the Early English style, and -has an embattled western tower of brick and a fine 15th century roof. It was restored in 1894, at a cost of £1100.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: