Greenstead (Brentwood), Essex
Greenstead, a parish in Essex, near the river Roding, 1 mile W by N from Ongar station, and 8 NNW from Brentwood. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Ongar. Acreage, 683; population, 98. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £182. Patron, the Bishop of London in trust. The church is one of the most ancient in England; was thoroughly restored in 1848; has a nave formed of half trunks of oak, set upright, and close to one another, and supposed to have been erected as a temporary shrine for the body of St Edmund; contains monuments to the Smyths, the Cleeves, and the Ords; and at its restoration in 1848 was found to have a well-preserved ancient piscina.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Greenstead St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Greenstead (Brentwood) from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: