Great Yeldham, Essex
Yeldham, Great or Lower, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., 6 ½ miles NW by N of Halstead. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Halstead, and a railway station. Acreage, 1871; population, 619, There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with Spencer Grange, a fine mansion standing in grounds of about 150 acres, belongs to the Way family. Spaynes Hall is a chief residence. An oak in the centre of the village measures 30 feet in girth at 4 feet from the ground. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £320 with residence. The church is an ancient building of rubble in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with S chapel, nave, S transept, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient brasses and memorials, and some good stained glass. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £25 a year, six almshouses, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yeldham St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Halsted|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Yeldham from the following:
Online maps of Great Yeldham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: