Great Wigborough, Essex

Historical Description

Wigborough, Great, a parish in Essex, 6 miles SW of Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R., and 7 SSW of Colchester. It includes part of Tiptree Heath chapelry, and its post town is Peldon, under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage, 2156; population of the civil parish, 270; of the ecclesiastical, with Little Wigborough, 413. The manor belonged at Domesday to Barking Abbey, and passed to St Osyth Priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, with that of Little Wigborough united; joint net value, £400 with residence. The church stands on an eminence, with a commanding view, and is in the Early English and Decorated styles.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Wigborough St. Stephen
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Wigborough from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Wigborough are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: