Great Warley, Essex
Warley, Great (known also as Warley Abbess), a parish in Essex, 3 miles S of Brentwood station on the main line of the G.E.R. It includes Warley Street, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Warley Common, under Brentwood.. Acreage, 2891; population, 1609. The manor belongs to Lord Headley. There are several good residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of St John's College, Cambridge. The church, which was restored in 1860, is a building of brick chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a western tower with a low spire. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. A chapelry, called Christ-church Great Warley, was formed in 1855, out of Great Warley, Shenfield and South Weald parishes, and has its church upwards of 2 miles from the churches of the respective parishes. Population, 4947. The liviag is a vicarage of the net value of £289 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Romford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Warley from the following:
Online maps of Great Warley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: