Great Wakering, Essex
Wakering, Great, an ancient parish in Essex, near the coast, 2 ½ miles N from Shoeburyness station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 5 NE from Southend-on-Sea. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Southend. Acreage, 2775; population, 1652. The parish includes the islands of Great Potton and Rushley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £146 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient edifice of stone, Norman with Perpendicular additions, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a western tower with shingled spire. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wakering St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Wakering from the following:
Online maps of Great Wakering are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: