Great Oakley, Essex

Historical Description

Oakley, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands a quarter of a mile E of Ramsey Creek, a feeder of the Stour, 4 S by E of Wrabness station on the Harwich and Manningtree branch of the G.E.R.,and 5 ½ SW of Harwich. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Harwich, and formerly had a fair on 25 April. The parish comprises 3369 acres; population, 845. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £667 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of stone and brick, partly Norman, and consists of nave and chancel, with bell-chamber; it has a fine Norman font of Purbeck marble. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels in the village, and there are a mission room and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Stones Green.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Oakley All Saints
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Oakley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Oakley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: