Great Leighs, Essex

Historical Description

Leighs, Great or Much, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Ter, 4 ½ miles SW from White Notley station on the G.E.R., and 7 NE from Chehns-ford. It has a post and telegraph office under Chelmsford; money order office, Little Waltham. Acreage of parish, 3146; population, 720. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £690 with residence, in the gift of Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is a very ancient building, partly Norman, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and a round tower of stone and flint with octagonal shingled spire. It has a mutilated brass of a priest of 1414. There are also a non-sectarian chapel, two alms-houses. Chatley is a hamlet situated about 2 miles NW of the village.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Leighs St. Mary
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Leighs from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Leighs are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: