Great Easton, Essex

Historical Description

Easton, Great, a parish in Essex, on the river Chelmer, 3 miles NNW of Dunmow station on the G.E.R., and 6½ E by N from Stanstead. It has a post office under Dunmow; money order and telegraph office, Dunmow. Acreage, 2559 ; population of the civil parish, 674; of the ecclesiastical, 543. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £472 with residence. The church is an ancient building chiefly of flint, in mixed styles. Meade's charity, amounting to about £55 a year, is devoted to educational purposes.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Easton St. John
Hundred Dunmow
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Easton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Easton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: