Great Clacton, Essex
Clacton, Great, a parish in Essex, on the coast, 1 mile from Clacton-on-Sea steamboat pier and station, and 8 miles SW from Walton-on-the-Naze. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 4364, of "which 290 are water; population, 1922; including Clacton-on-Sea, which is in Great Clacton parish, 3584. There 'is a local board who have carried out a complete sewerage scheme at a cost of £12,000. The church is an ancient building of stone, principally of the Norman or pre-Norman period. The living is a vicarage, with that of Little Holland annexed, in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £246 with residence, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. Alton Park is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clacton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Clacton from the following:
Online maps of Great Clacton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: