Great Chishall, Essex

Historical Description

Chishall, Great, a parish in Essex, on the verge of the county, 5 miles SE of Royston station on the G.N.R., and 9 W by N of Saffron-Walden. Post town, Royston; money order office, Heydon; telegraph office, Barley. Acreage, 2542; population, 387. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans ; net yearly value, £115. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Chishall St. Swithin
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Royston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Chishall from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: