Great Chesterford, Essex

Historical Description

Chesterford, Great, a village and a parish in Essex-The village stands at the verge of the county, on the river Granta, adjacent to the G.E.R., 4 miles NNW of Saffron-Walden, and has a station of the name of Chesterford on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It formerly was a market-town, and it still has a fair on the first Friday in July, A Roman station was here, and Roman roads went hence to Chelmsford, Cambridge, and Ixworth. Traces of Roman walls exist; vestiges of a Roman villa and a Roman temple have been discovered, and many Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. The parish comprises 2917 acres; population, 859. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Little Chesterford, in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £400. The church is a fine building of stone in the Perpendicular style. There is a small Union chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Chesterford All Saints
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Saffron-Walden

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Chesterford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Chesterford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: