Great Canfield, Essex

Historical Description

Canfield, Great, a parish in Essex, on the river Roding, 3 miles SW from Dunmow station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Dunmow; money order and telegraph office, Takeley. Acreage, 2490; population, 313. There arc remains of a moated castle, built by the De Veres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value, £108 with residence. The church is an edifice of stone,. partly of Norman date, and has some interesting brasses and. memorials.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Dunmow
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Canfield from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Canfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: