Great Burstead, Essex

Historical Description

Burstead, Great, a parish in Essex, surrounding the town of Billericay, and including it for civil purposes; but the town is a separate ecclesiastical parish. The parish is 1 ½ mile S of Billericay station on the G.E.R., and 7 miles W from Brentwood, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 3709; population of the civil parish, 1962; of the ecclesiastical, 538. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £159 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The vicarage of Billericay is a separate benefice. The church is an old building of rubble in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and there is a Particular Baptist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Burstead St. Mary Magdalene
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Billericay

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Burstead from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Burstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: